> News > 2015 OFC CHAMPIONS LEAGUE > Team Welington 2-0 Ba

Team Welington 2-0 Ba

The lads from New Zealand’s capital city were direct and decisive as they applied pressure from the outset and coach Matt Calcott was pleased his side was able to make themselves comfortable so early in the match.“We’re delighted as it was a great start for us.
It was a very tough game in front of a very vocal home crowd, and now it’s great to have two New Zealand teams in the final,” Calcott said.
“It was pretty chaotic in the first 15-20 minutes, obviously we got the two goals and I would have liked us to play a bit more football in that second period of the first half, but it just didn’t play out like that.
“Sometimes these games and the whole tournament so far, have just been a war of attrition and there’s some great stuff and some great performances from the boys.”
The match was exactly as Calcott described. In that first 20 minutes, there were a lot of aerial balls and exchanging of shots from both teams.
Some avoidable errors set Team Wellington up with several threatening dead ball situations before an error in the 18-yard box from a
Ba defender had Tahitian referee Norbert Hauata pointing to the spot.
Michael Gwyther was the man that was fouled and the one who stepped up to take the penalty, but the soft effort was put around the post by Ba and Fiji U-20 goalkeeper Misiwani Nairube – much to the vocal crowd’s delight.
However just a few seconds later Gwyther got his revenge as he headed home from the resulting corner to hand his side the lead.
An early substitution was forced on Team Wellington after midfielder Jake Butler had to be replaced, with Luis Corrales stepping in for the former Waitakere man.
It proved good timing for the visitors as, from the same corner, Gwyther nodded past Nairube a second time to give his side a more comfortable two goal cushion.
Ba continued to battle, and once they settled into the game and started keeping the ball low rather than booting it upfield for their strikers to chase, they began to look a lot more threatening.
Luck looked like it had turned in their favour when a team Wellington foul in the box in the 27th minute had Hauata pointing to the spot for the second time in the match, with the honour of taking it falling to Keegan Linderboom on this occasion.
Unfortunately the effort was poorly struck giving Michael O’Keeffe time to bundle it up and the first real chance of the match for Ba passed.
OFC Media

Related posts